LinkedIn is a social networking site designed specifically for the business community. The goal of the site is to allow registered members to establish a network of people they know and trust professionally. Most active professionals have a LinkedIn profile.
More recently, LinkedIn has made additional updates to their platform to make it more social. The use of the platform is beginning to expand. It’s a great way to research and find out more about a company, both in your job search and in general. You can find out a lot about company culture, new products, and more. Your network of contacts will often post more than content related to job searches; they may reveal interesting updates on their workplace environment or even something personal.
The bottom line is that LinkedIn continues to grow. It has 55.75 million active members. Thirty-five percent of those users use it daily. Each average user has nearly 1K connections.
Why should you be a regular user of LinkedIn as well?
- Stay up-to-date on company news, both for your own workplace as well as other brands you follow
- Network with others professionally, both within your company and beyond
- Engage with and share company posts to increase awareness, impressions, reach, and interaction with potential vendors and employees
- Follow and share industry-related content, staying current on recent news and updates
- Maintain your presence with regular updates; networking with others conveys a savvy social media commitment and high level of professionalism to not only yourself, but your company as well
Before you become a regular user of LinkedIn, be sure to update and optimize your personal LinkedIn profile.
- Ensure your profile picture is current; use a professional headshot if available. If you don’t have one, make sure your photo is at least 400×400 pixels in size and is well-lit.
- Add a cover photo. LinkedIn will add a stock image automatically, but it’s important to personalize this. Choose a photo that aligns with you both personally and professionally. Image size should be 1536×768 pixels.
- Include a one to two-sentence tagline under your profile picture that gives a quick glimpse to users of who you are, what you do, and what you stand for.
- Ensure your skills are up to date. It is helpful to look at job descriptions in your respective discipline and see what skills companies are using in their descriptions. This way, your skills align with current terms that LinkedIn members use.
- Ask fellow colleagues or senior leadership to write a recommendation for you. It will not appear on your profile until you approve it.
- “Communities” let you follow hashtags specific to your interests or profession. You can easily click on the hashtags you’ve saved from your profile to see the latest LinkedIn content on that topic. From there, like posts and engage with others. You can also choose to share content to your own newsfeed.
Need help? The MarCom team is happy to answer your questions regarding updating your LinkedIn profile. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.